Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen... your spokesminis!

In showing off how pieces may or may not work with your collection, I thought it would be useful to select a number of models that represent different genres, different builds, different base heights, and different sculpting styles. You'll be seeing a lot of these folks.


From left to right: Skunk, from Heresy Miniatures; Particle, from Four Color Figures/Old Glory; a Warzone Cartel figure that I'll call "Max", occasionally available from Prince August; Ashlee Campbell, from Hasslefree Miniatures; Megapulse, also from Four Color Figures/Old Glory; and finally, a figure from "Babes with Guns" from Mark Copplestone's Future Wars line, who I'll refer to as 'Manda.

I have a way to go before my photography skills can compare to Hyun.


In any case, Here are the gentlemen with a ruler so that you can get an idea of precisely how tall they all are. The ruler is lined up with the center line of all three bases, but I suspect that the perspective of the camera is distorting things slightly. Hopefully this will still be useful as long as I'm consistent with my mistakes.

I chose Skunk for a couple of reasons. First, I love Andy Foster's work. As science fiction is a relatively new pursuit for Heresy, I wanted to give it whatever bump I could with the half dozen or so people who are likely to ever come see this site. Second, Skunk is a slimmer figure, and one of a minority of science fiction figures in that he's not brandishing a firearm. Finally, I love his pose from the side view, looking like he's just loping along. Great character in such a small piece. Also noteworthy for our purposes is that he's mounted on a 25mm slotted base.

As a shrinking superhero, Particle is but one in a pack of three figures that includes 15mm and 10mm scale versions of the same character. Particle is the tallest of this bunch, even being mounted on the lowest base (a 1" round fender washer) and ignoring the fin on the top of his head. I like him because rather than the standard pose/attack look, he's striding onwards, either to get a slice of pizza or to go to Kuala Lampur.

I chose Max because of his proportions: he's a wall with feet. This particular design style seems to have gone out of favor, especially considering that the last Warzone releases from Target tended to be a little narrower. Max makes for a fine big badass that should more than adequately represent the larger 28mm human types in your collection. I'd love to tell you that Prince August stocks him, but I forgot that Target got rid of the Cartel as a faction when they made the second edition of the rules. Best guess is to keep your eyes open on Bartertown or ebay.

Next up: the ladies.


Kev White + Evil Dead homage = babe-a-licious zombie hunter Ashlee Campbell. I selected Ashlee because of her proportions: she's an adult female who's a little shorter than the men around her (as opposed to Maria, who is designed as "petite"). She's also one of my favorite adventurer minis from Hasslefree.

Megapulse is another shrinking super, and she comes packed with a 15mm version of herself. I chose her as a tribute to all of the G.I. Joe fans out there: the sex appeal of the Baroness, plus the anonymity of Cobra Commander. What's not to love? Like Particle, she was sculpted by Bob Naismith, who is known to the pre-painted plastic crowd as the sculptor for the Battleball board game and Heroscape. Can't hurt to try drawing some of those players to the metal side of the table. Both Megapulse and 'Manda have integral metal bases by default and are mounted on 1" render washers.

I chose 'Manda (and a model from Mark Copplestone in general) because of Mark's work with Grenadier's old Future Warriors line, now on sale from EM-4 (and distributed by Tin Dictator in the US). Both the new and the old lines feature clean sculpts without the "gribbly bits" syndrome that infects models from some other companies' science fiction minis these days.


I suppose I should say a word about these folks too. I have a confession: I also like pre-painted plastic minis, as will become a bit more obvious in future posts. To represent that crowd, I present:
  • Sgt. Drake Alexander, from the Heroscape Master Set "Swarm of the Marro".
  • A member of the Mistryl Shadow Guard, from Star Wars Miniatures.
  • A rebased "Booster Gold" figure, from the DC Heroclix set "Hypertime". Booster has been removed from his clix base and rebased on a 3mm thick 25mm round base from Litko Aero.
So, there you have them, the spokesminis of the OQ!

No comments: